The Friend Zone (26 in 2026 #17)


Author: Kristen Callihan  Title: The Friend Zone Publisher: Canary Street Press Date Published: 05/05/2015

Read Dates: 08/03/2026- 08/04/2026
Rating:⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Friend Zone is a dual POV friends-to-lovers romance. While Ivy is living in England, her sports agent father loans her car to a college football player, Gray, that he’s hoping to sign. When Ivy texts Gray with a few threats should any shenanigans happen in her car, it is the start of an unlikely friendship. The two quickly become close and their friendship transitions from text to in person when Ivy returns home. They each develop feelings, but are uncertain about taking a new step in their relationship for fear of losing an important friendship.

I really loved this one! Sports romance, particularly college sports, is not my go-to but I’ve been lucky with 26 in 2026 picks in this category! I loved the friendship and banter between Ivy and Gray. I understood their hesitation to rock the boat and risk their friendship on the uncertainty of more. This one was an excellent balance between lighthearted, banter filled fun and more serious storylines (much appreciation for the CW in the authors note!) and I think difficult subjects were handled well.


They started as strangers texting…
The last thing star tight end Gray Grayson wants to do is drive his agent’s daughter’s hot-pink car. But he needs the wheels and she’s studying abroad.

Unknown: Mr. Grayson, my father tells me he lent you my car. I don’t care if he’s going to sign you or not. As said agent’s daughter, I know football players & their ways. So let me be clear. There will be no shenanigans taking place in it or you’ll answer to me. You want to hook up with someone, do it in a bed and not in my car. Sincerely, Ivy Mackenzie

GrayG: Hey, Miss Mac. You do realize your car is a bubblegum-pink Fiat, right? Even if I could get it up surrounded by all that heinous pink, the car is better suited for Lilliputians. So don’t worry, there will be no shenanigans (Shenanigans? Srsly? What are we, 80?) anywhere near the car. I’m not about to pull a hamstring in the pursuit of pleasure. BTW beds are overrated. Branch out a little.

Soon became best-texting buddies…
Gray Grayson drives Ivy nuts. He’s irreverent, sex on a stick and completely off-limits. Because Ivy has one golden rule: never get involved with one of her father’s clients.

But when they finally meet in person, everything goes haywire. Game on.




Comments